My parents, aka my daycare, decided they deserved a vacation this week (they totally did). I decided I needed a trial run on this stay-at-home-mom thing to prep for Gatsby’s arrival in late (?) March, so I wanted to try “working from home” this week.
Long story short: we survived! We took advantage of every Gymboree class opportunity that was available; I’m talking two-a-days sometimes. We took several walks to the park in weather that was *just* a bit too cold. We read every book. We danced to Yo Gabba Gabba! We had multiple tea parties. We watched all the Toy Stories. Several times. We rode the stupid quarter rides at the mall. We toured a preschool and did Holden’s first art project. We got a rug burn on our forehead. Bonus: we started potty training… kinda.
What I learned:
- I love spending time with this kid.
- Having a schedule is going to be very important: those Gymboree classes were lifesavers for structure to my day, giving me adult interaction and allowing Holdy to expel some energy.
- Doing this with two kids is going to be really, really hard.
- She’s growing up too fast.
- I cannot stay in the house all day.
- Trying to work from home with a toddler is not realistic for me.
- Yo Gabba Gabba! is pretty weird.
- I need to find some backup babysitters.
- I should join a mom’s group.
- I need to do more art projects with Holden so she doesn’t think a paint brush is a utensil and shaving cream + glue a yummy treat.
Ready or not, some things are going to be changing, and soon. It’s exciting and scary, all at the same time.